The Philosophy of Sports
Athletes are human, just like all of us. Which means sometimes they have very insightful things to say and sometimes they say things that make you wonder if they ate paint chips as a kid (thanks Tommy Boy). I must admit, I’ve been there. I mean not literally – I stayed away from paint chips, glue, and most magic markers. But thankfully I’m insignificant enough that no one cares about my quotes, so I don’t have to put them on this list. But the sports figures I’m about to mention aren’t so lucky.
Today we’re going to look at both the clever and confusing quotes that have come out of the sports world. So without any further delay, here is the TNS list of some of the best sports quotes. (My apologies to the likes of Yogi, Shaq, and anyone else gutsy enough to let themselves be quoted in the press for not being on this list. I just thought I’d throw in some new quotes 🙂 )
10. The sun doesn’t shine on the same dog’s butt every day but we sure didn’t expect a total eclipse. – Steve Sloan
9. We can’t win at home. We can’t win on the road. I just can’t figure out where else to play! – Pat Williams
8. Sure, luck means a lot in football. Not having a good quarterback is bad luck. – Don Schula
7. The Yankees are only interested in one thing, and I don’t know what that is. – Louis Polonia
6. Any time Detroit scores more than 100 points and holds the other team below 100 points, they almost always win. -Doug Collins
5. “I owe a lot to my parents, especially my mother and father” -Greg Norman
4. They say a tie is like kissing your sister. I guess that is better than kissing your brother. – Lou Holtz
3. We’re going to turn this team around 360 degrees. – Jason Kidd
2. Left hand, right hand, it doesn’t matter. I’m amphibious. – Charles Shackelford
1. Sure. I’m proud to be an American. – Steve Foster, when asked by a Canadian customs agent if he had anything to declare.